The history of H2H
It all started the day after the devastating earthquake Hundreds of victims flew to the Dominican border for medical help. MONTSE and JORDI began their support in local hospitals taking care of injured Haitians. Later they focused their work on public hospitals in Santo Domingo, where 297 seriously injured were brought. They organized medication, blood transfusions, doctors and nurses and paid for special medical treatment to avoid further amputations. Furthermore they organized.
- Flights for complex medical treatment to Bogota (COL) and New York (USA),
- Support for Haitian orphans, that had been accommodated in Santo Domingo and were suffering from the serious medical and psychological consequences of the earthquake,
- Continuous support of basic equipment, personal care/hygiene products, clothes, toys etc.
ALL OF THIS WAS ONLY POSSIBLE THROUGH THE IMMEDIATE HELP THEY RECEIVED THROUGH DONATIONS IN MONEY, IN GOODS AND ESPECIALLY IN MEDICAL SUPPORT (estimated overall value of 700.000 USD) FROM FRIENDS AND FAMILY, GOVERNMENTAL INSTITUTIONS IN BOGOTA (COL), THEIR ORIGINAL HOMETOWN, COMPANIES AND HOSPITALS.
Inspired by this work, we joined and started the activities of H2H officially...
How does H2H work
One of our primary roles is to collect the financial means to implement projects. We live and work in 3 different countries in Europe and America and use modern technology (i.e. SKYPE) to communicate with each other. Most of the team have already participated in personal missions to Titanyen and Port-au-Prince to transfer goods, financial aid or plan and work on projects.
We are all volunteers and dedicate our time free of charge allowing to deliver 100% of funds collected to the community.
Since February 2011, H2H is registered as a charity in the UK and since April 2018 in Germany.
We have in Haiti trustful contacts, who are leading the implementation of our projects and are embedded in the community in Titanyen. One of our H2H team currently works part-time in Haiti and supports them.
We are depending on donations to execute our work, which we have received so far through:
- Individual donations in money
- Donations in kind by companies and individuals
- Fundraising by friends
- Sport events like half-marathons or triathlons to collect donations
Since 2010 H2H has implemented the following projects
- Support in School fees starting in 2010/11 with 48 children and adolescents growing by 2018/19 to 105 and 17 post school graduates or trainees.
- Since 2013, we provide basic medical support by running 1-2 mobile clinics annually, where every time between 400-500 patients can receive medical support.
- Financing the construction of 3 wooden sheds including payment for materials and salaries to members of the community in collaboration with UN TECHO PARA MI PAIS (6.000 USD).
- Financing the construction of 3 latrines including payment for materials and salaries to members of the community (2.000 USD).